Plastic Surgery and Emotional Health
Plastic surgery is all about the exterior, right? Cosmetic procedures allow men and women to change the aspects of their physical appearance they’re displeased with. Preparing for plastic surgery should mean kicking habits like smoking, following your physician’s pre-op orders, planning for recovery, and getting ready to greet a whole new you.
Unfortunately, plastic surgery isn’t just about the body, it’s about the mind, as well. Plastic surgery allows patients to renew their confidence, eradicate body shame, and improve their self-image. Physical preparation for procedures is important, but patients should prepare emotionally for plastic surgery, too.
Most patients don’t anticipate being sad after their cosmetic surgeries. After all, each procedure is personalized based on the patient’s needs, desires, and perceived flaws. But post-surgical depression is a real phenomenon that many patients experience in the weeks after their procedures. Known causes of post-surgical sadness include:
- A history of anxiety or depression
- Emotional reactions to anesthesia or pain medication
- Depending on others for help during recovery
- An inability to resume normal activities during the recovery period
- Lack of support from loved ones
- Feeling pressured by loved ones to have undergone a procedure
- Unrealistic expectations for the procedure
- Swelling or slow healing
- Getting used to a new appearance
Most cases of post-surgical depression are minor and temporary. Prepare for your emotional health by eating healthy, guaranteeing the support of loved ones, and discussing any concerns with Dr. Brantner before your surgery. If you experience severe or extended depression after plastic surgery, contact a healthcare professional immediately.
Planning a Second Procedure
87% of plastic surgery patients are happy with their results. Of the other 13%, many patients feel that they don’t look better, just different. Patients dissatisfied with their appearance after plastic surgery should determine whether the problem is physical (unhappiness with the results of the procedure) or emotional (insecurity or anxiety). Dr. Brantner recommends waiting several months before undergoing any follow-up procedures. Waiting allows patients to fully heal and become more comfortable with their new appearance before jumping into another surgery.
Do you have questions about plastic surgery and emotional health? Call Jim Brantner MD, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery to learn more about finding your best self, inside and out.