When summer arrives, your skin goes on display. Wardrobes shift from skin-protecting sweaters and pants to shorts, skirts, and swimsuits. But it’s important to remember that loving your skin goes beyond self-confidence. It means protecting your skin from the summer sun. Keep your skin glowing and healthy with Dr. Brantner’s summer skincare tips.
6 Summer Skincare Tips
- Exfoliate. When dead skin builds up, it can clog your pores, dry out your skin, and dull your overall appearance. Regular exfoliation removes the top layer of dead skin, revealing the fresher, healthier skin underneath. Work exfoliation into your daily skincare routine. For a professional treatment, try microdermabrasion to rejuvenate your skin.
- Drink plenty of water. It’s easy to get dehydrated in the summer, especially on overcast days when the heat is less apparent. Make sure to drink plenty of water, especially when spending time outdoors. Not only is it good for your body, drinking water helps your skin stay healthy, too.
- Moisturize. Your skin gets thirsty, too! Moisturizing is one of the easiest ways to keep your skin fresh and slow signs of aging. Moisturize twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed.
- Lather up. Forgoing sunscreen can cause skin damage, premature aging, and increase your risk of developing melanoma. Skip the peeling sunburn, dry skin, wrinkles, and increased risk of skin cancer by applying sunscreen every morning and reapplying regularly.
- Cool the burn. If you do get sunburnt, don’t suffer in silence. Applying soothing aloe can soothe inflammation and reduce peeling, which is good news for your skin.
- Schedule annual checkups. Schedule a yearly appointment with your dermatologist to catch potential melanomas early. If your doctor finds a risky spot, he or she will refer you to a qualified plastic surgeon.
Does your skin need a little TLC? A nonsurgical procedure can help rejuvenate skin with mild sun damage or fine lines. Call Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery to learn more about facial rejuvenation in Johnson City.