Plastic surgery requires a skilled hand, extensive medical knowledge, and years of experience. It also requires a trusted relationship between doctor and patient. Choosing a plastic surgeon should involve research, recommendations, and complete confidence in your doctor’s abilities, but many patients give little thought to their doctor’s qualifications and bedside manner. Guarantee a great experience and excellent results by using these 5 tips for choosing a plastic surgeon.
How to Pick a Plastic Surgeon
- Research your doctor’s qualifications. Every year thousands of men and women get botched plastic surgery, leading to disfiguration, health problems, and expensive “fix it” procedures. Always choose a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Know the difference between cosmetic and plastic surgery. Hundreds of doctors claim to be qualified surgeons, but there is a difference between cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons who also perform cosmetic surgery. Plastic surgeons must undergo highly specific training before becoming board certified, whereas cosmetic surgeons often “learn on the job” after completing residency in a different specialty.
- Ask plenty of questions. Before choosing a plastic surgeon, ask your doctor about his history, his recommendations for achieving your desired aesthetic, and any questions you may have about the procedure.
- Share a vision. Plastic surgery is highly personal journey, and each procedure differs from patient to patient. To ensure the best experience, develop clear communication with your doctor during your consultation. Listen carefully to his recommendations, clearly articulate your desired results, and agree on how to achieve your goals before booking a procedure. If you can’t agree, it may be time to search for another physician. Both you and your doctor want you to be satisfied with your results.
- Develop trust. When you pick a plastic surgeon, you’re not only choosing a doctor’s skill, but also the sense of security he brings to your surgical journey. After researching a physician’s qualifications, schedule a consultation. Make sure you feel comfortable discussing the procedure, recovery, and results with your plastic surgeon before booking cosmetic surgery.
Call Jim N. Brantner MD, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery to schedule a consultation, get information about cosmetic procedures, and learn about Dr. Brantner’s history and qualifications.